Wednesday, July 10, 2024

25th Anniversary Adventure - Days Twelve and Thirteen

On Saturday morning the ship docked back in Honolulu and we were off the boat and transferred to the airport by 9am. Our flight wasn't set to leave until 10:30pm that night, so we paid to store our luggage there and rented a car to have some fun on our own. 

We ended up driving the H1 along the shoreline for a while which was so much fun. 

Eventually we made our way over to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail. It was about 3 miles up and back on the steep trail. The views were spectacular. 

A little further down the coastline you could see the lighthouse from a different angle. 

Eventually we made our way back across Honolulu and over to Aloha Stadium. This is where the Pro Bowl used to be played. There's a giant "swap meet" here every weekend of over 400 local craft vendors, food trucks and a farmer's market. We had a lot of fun wandering around and shopping. 

For lunch, we decided to eat local. We found this restaurant with great reviews online serving authentic Hawaiian food. Highway Inn was started after World War 2 by two Asian Americans who moved to the island after being released from the camps in California. 

Daryl had loco loco and mac and cheese. Loco moco is three layers of rice, with a hamburger patty and egg smothered in gravy. 

I had chicken lau lau, served over glass noodles and steamed sweet potato. 

While we were at lunch, I googled labyrinths. There were several not he island and one about a mile away so we popped over to the Parish of St. Clement to walk one together. 

One last stop before heading home. We drove in the shadow of Diamond Head crater to visit their lighthouse. Diamond Head requires a permit to hike and you need a reservation months in advance. But it was cool to be over there. 

After that we headed back to the airport and turned in the car. Grabbed our bags and went to check in early for our flight. Only there were some delays for our return flight that would mean missing our connection in San Diego. Alaskan Air ended up switching us to United. We left at 11pm on Saturday night and landed at LAX at 7:30am their time. We left about 9:30am and got home to Tampa at 5:30pm. The boys met us at the house in Sarasota. Long long trip and glad to be home but so thankful for our amazing time away! 

No comments: